I added new sync rules to my application, but when I promoted to production, I am unable to reprocess the sync rules manually, why?

I added new sync rules to my application, but when I promoted to production, I am unable to reprocess the sync rules manually, why?

Sync Rules process depending on the size of the database.

• If you have a medium to large set of data, sync rules process outside business hours.
  • If you have a small set of data, there is a possibility that it would process with promotion, but this is rarely the case.

The reason they don't process the second you promote your sync rules, is to stop adding any unnecessary pressure on the backend and devices. Keeping the application performant during business hours.

Note: Business hours are defined by the region your app is allocated to, this is normally after 6pm of that region. To ensure they process, I would advise only promoting sync rule changes after business hours. Also make sure your clients are aware of the re-syncing of data due to the sync rule change.

You can find the documentation around sync rules here: https://docs.journeyapps.com/reference/build/data-model-configuration/other-topics-data-model/sync-rules-v2#sync-rule-reprocessing

3 Likes

Note that the business hours check is no longer applicable - sync rules now always start reprocessing as soon as they’ve been deployed. See this post.